If you live in Canada and you are a senior, taking advantage of the offered senior discounts can help seniors save money. The age at which different stores consider you to be a senior can vary, from 55 up to 65 so check before asking for your discount. Also, discounts at some stores are weekly while others can be monthly or every day! Another tip: always ask if there is a discount for seniors as many places do not advertise that they have one.
Where can you find discounts for seniors?
- One of the most well known discounts for seniors is at Shoppers Drug Mart. On the last Thursday of every month, 20% off regularly priced items for those who are 55 and over with an Optimum card. (available at the store)
- M&M Meat Shops have a 5% discount on Tuesdays for those 60 and over. Sometimes the discount is larger!
- Hotels such as the Best Western and any of the Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn, Clarion, etc.) have a 10% discount for those 60 and over who book in advance. At any of the Fairmont locations, if you are 55 or over, you will receive a discount.
- Avis and Budget have senior discounts on their vehicle rentals if you are a CARP member. If you wish to become a member of CARP, click here.
- Restaurants such as the Mandarin offer a 20% discount for those 65 and over. Bring your ID!
- Greyhound, VIA Rail and GO Transit have senior discounts from 10% to 50%, ages from 60-65.
Stretching your dollar becomes very important as you grow older and your income is less. Look out for lower city bus fares, cheaper movie tickets and lower bank fees. Once you reach your 50’s, you should be looking into a list of ways that you can live more cheaply at 55, 60 and 65.
Contact your local senior centre for more information on resources in your area. Search the internet for ways to save on groceries, entertainment and travel. It is possible to have more fun with less as a senior!