National Grandparents Day falls on September 9th. This special day is to celebrate our grandparents for all they have contributed to our lives. The number of grandparents is growing as the population ages. Each year this holiday becomes larger and is celebrated in many different ways and in many countries.
Ways to Celebrate National Grandparents Day
- Make a photo collage. Grandparents love to have photos of their grandchildren and great grandchildren. Put together a collage of all of their grandchildren with special emphasis on photos that also include grandma and grandpa.
- Spend time with them. Nothing is more precious than your time and you can show your thoughtfulness by spending this day with your grandparents. Take them out to lunch or bring lunch with you. Relax and spend the day listening to some of your grandparents stories. Enjoy finding out about how they spent their lives.
- Bring your grandparents a bouquet of forget-me-nots, the official flower of National Grandparents Day. These flowers have been used as a symbol of remembrance for centuries.
- Make celebrating this holiday a family tradition. Bringing the family together for a celebration is one way to make this day special for your grandparents.
- National Grandparents Day falls in late summer, a perfect time to spend an afternoon at the park. Take a picnic lunch and spend some time outdoors with your grandparents.
Many countries around the world celebrate their own version of Grandparents Day. Some of these celebrations have a religious connotation. In all countries this day is about showing your love and appreciation for those who have been there for you. Many communities hold special events at community centres and others have free admission at museums and other locations. This year plan something special for your grandparents. Invite the whole family and make this day one to celebrate.