It’s just around the corner. Cooler temperatures and autumn colors. It’s the favourite time of year for many and there are ways senior citizens can get ready for the shift in seasons. Planning for colder temperatures is especially important if you live alone as autumn also means an increase in illnesses. We want healthy seniors this fall!
How can we ensure healthy seniors this autumn?
Along with getting outside and enjoying the crisp autumn air that will soon be here. Here are some health tips to keep us healthy.
- Get your vaccines.
- Cold and flu season starts in the fall as children go back to school. With the temperatures dropping and people staying indoors more, viruses have a better chance of growing so get your flu vaccines. Also ask your doctor about the pneumonia vaccine if you are prone to respiratory infections or have asthma or any other breathing problems.
- This is the time of year to go to bed earlier and get plenty of sleep. The days are starting to shorten and with the earlier sunset and darker evenings, most of us go indoors in the evening.
- Eat healthy and exercise. Here are some indoor healthy ideas https://seniorslifestylemag.com/health-well-being/senior-fun-indoors/
- Don’t forget to wash your hands!
- Be careful outdoors. As fall progresses, many of us are outside raking leaves. Surfaces may be wet and slippery. If possible, hire someone to do the yard work.
Dress for success!
- Layers are your best bet in the fall when the temperature can drop quickly or just as easily warm up.
- Add or shed layers according to the temperature.
- Don’t forget your gloves and a hat!
How to prepare for the weather around your home
Changing weather can also mean storms and loss of electricity.
- Stock up on non perishables and water.
- Keep flashlights and extra batteries on hand.
- A good idea is a crank radio that also includes a flashlight and cell phone charger.
- Having a phone during a storm is a necessity as you age.
- Keep in touch with others until the weather clears.
Make sure your home is ready for the weather
- Change out any light summer curtains with lined drapes to help keep the heat in.
- Check on your heating system. Before the weather gets cold, check that your furnace is working. Arrange for any needed maintenance.
- Caulk old windows and doors. Use weather stripping.
- If possible, change out any light summer curtains with lined drapes.
Autumn is a time of renewal and new interests. Prepare yourself for the colder weather and more time spent indoors. Being careful will mean more time to enjoy the season.