The temperature is rising and the sun is shining. Summer will soon be here and seniors are looking for things to do outdoors. Whether you are alone or in a group, there are lots of things you can do to enjoy the nice weather. Getting out and about is good for you both physically and mentally, it helps with anxiety as well as depression and it’s fun.
What are some great summer activities that seniors will enjoy?
- A favorite activity for many seniors is walking. Just getting out in your own neighborhood is a great way to meet people and learn what’s new in your area. You can also find transportation to another area of your town or city. You may discover things you didn’t know existed! Walkers and wheelchairs can still get you outside and moving.
- Vitamin D is necessary for your health and there is no better place to soak up the sun than a neighborhood park or beach. Wear a hat and sunscreen, bring your sunglasses, a lunch and a book and spend several hours relaxing either on your own or with friends.
- Go swimming or wading. Lucky are those who have a lake nearby or access to a swimming pool. Swimming is a low impact exercise and on hot summer days a splash at a nearby lake is a quick way to cool off.
- Visit your local farmer’s market. Once the summer season is in full swing, the farmer’s markets offer fresh from the ground vegetables, jams, flowers and all kinds of crafts. Spend a lazy afternoon wandering around your local market and bring home some fresh produce for a quick, healthy supper.
- Berry picking is a popular activity. Depending on where you live, June is the month for strawberries. Many farms offer specials when you pick your own berries and later in the summer if you live near a rural area, you can go blueberry picking. Once again, wear your sunscreen and respect the wildlife!
Summer activities are always more fun when shared but if you are on your own, think safety when you are out. Pick a great weather day and enjoy everything the outdoors has to offer. For a complete list of summer activities for seniors, click here.
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B004U3Y8OM” locale=”US” src=”https://seniorslifestylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/51Hvj3ZnFlL.SL160.jpg” tag=”seniorslife-20″ width=”79″]