Many seniors move into a senior living community when they retire and have found that the design of the community and it’s attractiveness was one of the reasons they decided to live there. Both they and their families liked the cozy, home-like communities that were both safe and comfortable.
Since the elderly spend most of their day in these communities, the design is not only important because it helps increase happiness but because this happiness leads to overall improved health and well-being.
What features in these communities stand out as being important to senior health?
- Community spaces. These spaces provide areas for social engagement which leads to a feeling of belonging. These areas should also be open with easy access and safe flooring for the use of walkers and wheelchairs.
- Lighting. Proper lighting is necessary throughout the living community for both safety reasons and for atmosphere. All halls as well as community areas should have bright lighting in order to safely navigate from one area to another. Reading areas should have proper lamps for seeing things close up.
- Choice of furniture. Furniture in communities needs to stand up to a lot of use. It should be sturdy and also of the right height.
- Flooring. Flooring is one of the most important aspects in the community. It should have a matte finish so as not to appear slippery with baseboards that are a different color. This way residents with failing vision can differentiate between where the floor ends and where the walls begin. Rugs are a tripping hazard so should never be used.
- Outdoor spaces. Residents needs to spend time outdoors as much as possible. Many senior communities now offer gardening areas for the residents as well as safe pathways for walking with benches to rest on.
When choosing a retirement community, make sure that it includes all of the above items and that you find it to be a comfortable place for you to live. To read the complete article on how interior design can affect senior’s health and well-being, click here.
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”110″ identifier=”1943070059″ locale=”US” src=”http://seniorslifestylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/41g11JTJblL.SL110.jpg” tag=”seniorslife-20″ width=”68″]