Whatever our age, we all want to age well and healthy aging starts with maintaining a healthy body and mind. Managing your health so you age your best relies on a number of factors.
Your Physical Health
- Keep hydrated. Drink water throughout the day.
- Concentrate your diet on fruit, vegetables, nuts and grains. Meats should be lean, poultry and fish are healthy for you. Dairy should be low fat.
- Avoid junk food or anything containing too much sugar or fat.
- See your doctor regularly for annual check ups and shots. Look after your teeth and see your dentist twice a year.
- If you are managing a chronic condition, staying in good healthy is twice as important, particularly if you take medication.
- Walking can be your exercise of choice. It improves your mood, gives you energy and strengthens your whole body. It can help to improve balance and flexibility.
- Other low impact exercises are yoga, gardening and any housework that you do daily.
Your Emotional Health
- Anything that stimulates your mind improves cognition. Examples are reading, crossword puzzles, learning new skills. Try an online course!
- If you are a people person, stay social. Even those who don’t like to be around people a lot still enjoy their time with family. Owning and looking after a pet also improves your mental health because you are focusing on something besides yourself.
- Relationships of all types reduce stress which means less anxiety and depression.
Healthy aging at any age involves a combination of physical and emotional care. Following the tips above can help you to age your best.
For more on healthy aging, click here.
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”110″ identifier=”0754820823″ locale=”US” src=”https://seniorslifestylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/51Q6SKU6spL.SL110.jpg” tag=”seniorslife-20″ width=”90″]