With more seniors than ever living alone in their homes, safety and thinking ahead become top priorities. Not only must their living space be safe for them but they also have to keep in mind that should power outages or weather disasters happen, they need to be prepared. Senior’s homes should be rid of anything that could possibly cause a fall and a list made of everything that would be needed in an emergency.
Fires in the Home
Fires happen more often than you would think and there are ways to minimize fire dangers as well as ways to prepare in case one should occur.
- Working smoke detectors should be placed throughout the home and the batteries checked frequently.
- Check for frayed electrical cords and ensure that fabrics are kept away from all heat sources such as electric fireplaces and portable heaters. Candles should only be used under supervision.
- Make an evacuation plan. In case of fire, getting out of the home is the top priority. Establish escape routes from each room and emergency contacts in place for afterward. Agree upon an area to meet. For those with mobility issues, set up a system with a neighbor.
Preparing an Emergency Kit
Everyone should have an emergency kit ready that can be used in the home or taken with them.
- A flashlight with extra batteries.
- Necessary medicines, refreshed every month.
- Water and food.
- A good idea is to have a wind up radio/flashlight/cell phone charger. These are useful both in and out of the home.
- For inclement weather which keeps you in your home for a long period of time, make sure your home is stocked with extra food supplies that don’t need to be refrigerated.
Keep your home safe and prepared for emergencies. Have more than one working flashlight and keep one in your bedside table. When sleeping, keep shoes close to the bed and if you wear glasses, leave them on the table beside your bed. Your emergency kit should be easy to reach. For other tips on staying safe at home, click here.
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B013EBQQUY” locale=”US” src=”https://seniorslifestylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/61MBhnj0jyL.SL160.jpg” tag=”seniorslife-20″ width=”160″]