Not only can pets be cute and cuddly, they can improve senior living.
Here are 5 great reasons why a pet for seniors is a good idea!
- Getting Out and Exercising – What better reason to have a pet than to get you motivated to get out and get moving! A pet is the best motivator for this. Seniors can visit dog parks, meet new friends and have their furry friends also meet new friends as well. A visit to a local park or a walk around the block is great exercise, and along the way our senior friends may meet some other dog owners as well! The benefits from exercise will help everyone and your pet.
- Routine – Owning a pet is a big responsibility. Having a pet will get you in a routine to get out of bed and have a purpose for your daily life. The best part is, you can set the pace for your routine but knowing Fido is waiting for you is one way to set your day in motion!
- Decreased Stress and Depression – Older people with pets often show less stress and anxiety compared to those that are pet-free. Maybe it’s those walks you are taking or the trips to the dog parks where you have interaction with other people, or maybe it’s that daily puppy kiss on the face that makes you smile each day!
- Finding a New Hobby – You may find that having a pet will encourage you to reach out to your community. Taking a pet to a hospital for a visit with a senior or ill person may brighten their day, as well as your own. Perhaps you and your pet would also like to help out by visiting the local animal shelter and walking another pet that is awaiting a new home? The different possibilities are endless!
- Protection – Sometimes when you are alone, you need that companionship to make you feel secure and protected. When the door bell rings and someone hears a bark on the other side lets them know that this house is protected! Potentially thieves do stay away from a home with a barking dog.
All in all, it may be worth considering getting a pet if you don’t have one now!
[easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B013MKYWJ4″ cloaking=”default” layout=”top” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”seniorslife-20″]