Here we go again! Another senior who would prefer to stay at home but needs some assistance. Everyone suggests moving him to assisted living or long term care. Senior in home care must provide support to any senior who needs it. The benefits to staying at home are quite simple.
What are the benefits?
- The senior avoids depression and stress over a move.
- The senior feels comfortable in familiar surroundings. Especially when they have lived somewhere for a long period of time.
- Many seniors lives are lengthened when they can stay at home.
- Maintaining their home gives the senior a sense of purpose and belonging. Something to do!
- Economically it is better for the government to pay for in home care verses subsidizing a long term care or assisted living facility.
- Most family members would prefer to see their senior at home then in a facility.
- It is the right thing to do, if this is what the senior wants.
So what will it take for the government and others to understand the benefits to everyone by supporting seniors staying in their homes as long as possible?
Whether there is a need for senior in home care, or renovations or whatever. It pays to help the senior stay at their home for all of the reasons above. So why aren’t we doing this?
See original article https://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2016-08-25/article-4624862/Senior,-91,-determined-to-stay-home%3B-says-home-care-hours-cut/1