May 29th, 2017 is Memorial Day in the US. This day is officially marked to celebrate those who have died while serving in the country’s armed forces. Nearly 1 in 4 seniors in the country are a veteran. This is a wonderful testament to the bravery and dedication of the older generation. There are many ways that seniors can celebrate and remember on this day.
How Seniors Can Celebrate On Memorial Day:
- Reach out to Veteran’s organizations that have activities planned. If you are able, contribute in any way that you can. It may be that you could help place or remove flags at military grave sites. If you are financially able, you could contribute to the costs of floral arrangements at war memorials.
- Celebrate the memories of your loved ones. Talking about them and your memories can often bring back many happy thoughts. It is important to honor them in some way. Talk with your living friends who may be a veteran and help them share in their experience. Express your gratitude for their service. Many are eager to share and often have fascinating stories to tell.
- Many towns host parades to honor veterans on Memorial Day. Get out in the fresh air and enjoy the festivities. Go with a group for even more fun!
- Fly your flag at half mast until noon today.
- Have or attend a red, white and blue themed picnic. Remember to play it safe and wear your sunscreen, take a hat or umbrella and stay hydrated! Always consider the sun and heat when you are outdoors for any length of time.
- Is your retirement home planning any craft days? Some patriotic pinwheels or other festive crafts will brighten up the festivities of the day. Place some flags in your flower pots for more red, white and blue color!