Activities and habits that stimulate the brain can help to reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. In some cases it can help to keep you from developing the disease at all. Activities that stimulate you mentally can improve the health of your brain. This happens by lowering the deposits of beta-amyloid. This is a destructive protein that is known to herald the beginning of Alzheimer’s symptoms.
What are some activities seniors can do to stimulate their brains and keep them healthy?
- Listen to music. Music can help those with dementia to connect with others around them. It is something they can share and helps to improve their quality of life. Playing an instrument is known to be one of the best things you can do to keep your brain healthy.
- Any type of movement keeps your body healthy and improves the way it works. Because of this your brain will also stay healthy.
- Learning new things. You are never too old to learn. Whether it is a language, a craft or just learning about something you find interesting, it helps create new cells in your brain.
- Baking and cooking. For those with Alzheimer’s symptoms, both of these can help by helping you concentrate on one thing at a time. Focusing and paying attention to what you are doing can help the brain and also reduce anxiety and depression.
- Stay social. Engaging with others through activities or conversations helps you to concentrate. At the same time you can also learn new things. Take a trip to a local museum or art gallery. Stay involved with your community. Your local senior center will quite often have a list of activities which you can sign up for.
The sooner you start to take part in a wide variety of activities, the sooner your brain will feel the healthy effects. To read more on brain stimulating activities which may reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, click here.
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”110″ identifier=”0996046143″ locale=”US” src=”http://seniorslifestylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/515nVMC2B2KL.SL110.jpg” tag=”seniorslife-20″ width=”73″]